A week-long workshop for flutists which will expand your artistic horizons and help you create a more meaningful performance experience.
June 26 – July 1, 2017
Seattle Pacific University @ Nickerson Studios – Seattle, WA
With facilitators representing many different arts disciplines, participants will learn to improve their own performance practices with ideas from drama, opera, improvisation, visual arts, dance, and multi-media/technology. A week-long exploration of musicality, creativity, and expression, as well as instruction in extended techniques and the Alexander Technique, will be offered. Participants will enhance their individual skills through informative workshops and master classes. Artistic development will be explored through various hands-on activities, repertoire development, stage presentation, lectures, and group workshops presented in an inviting and welcoming manner. Baroque and Impressionistic art forms will be highlighted.
Find the key to unlock your creativity!
- Daily warm up sessions designed to explore and unlock our creativity and make connections to other arts disciplines
- Daily chamber ensemble rehearsals. We shall prepare music that combines multiple artistic modalities, and/or focuses on multiple featured stylistic genres.
- Throughout the week, each participant will experience 2 – 3 sessions with a visiting guest artist, and will participate in hands-on activities in visual art, dance, improv/drama, multi-media/technology, and opera. These activities may also incorporate participants sharing their prepared music with the class. (A list of suggested repertoire will be provided). Learn techniques from one artistic discipline to enhance your expressive capabilities on the flute!
- Bring your own lunch, or access nearby food trucks and restaurants. Each day, we will choose a location to gather and ‘sketch’ ideas. A sketch book where you can notate your artistic/musical/project ideas will be provided.
- Three Alexander Technique sessions.
- Minimum of one private lesson with one of our outstanding flute faculty.
- Two masterclass opportunities – Wednesday (on prepared solo repertoire) led by Nicole, Lauren, Rose and Sandy; and Thursday – a chance to try a bit of your ‘final’ project and receive feedback from all our guest artists!
- Two Performances: Tuesday evening will feature a Guest Artist recital; and participants will present their projects on Saturday afternoon.
FEES $400 per participant – Early Registration encouraged, as it helps us plan a more tailored curriculum.
$430 after June 1st
If you are interested in taking this course for graduate or continuing education credit, please pre-register by emailing Sandra Saathoff at email@example.com. MUS 5081 can be taken for 1 or 2 credits; $75 per credit. Housing in SPU campus apartments is available to out-of-town flutists who take this class for credit.
It can also be taken for clock hours CEU 3801 (1, or 3.2 Units) http://spu.edu/academics/school-of-education/center-for-professional-education/professional-development/course-finder
This workshop is funded, in part, by Silver Flight Ensembles, a 501c(3) organization http://www.silverflightensembles.org.
For more information, or to register, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org